Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Welding and the Bible? How do they go together?

Good morning fellow Bloggers.  I grew up in a family owned business where my grandpa and my dad were both welders.  They also taught me the trade through apprenticeship.  I learned a lot over the years about proper heat, the importance of how certain materials bond each other together and how others can be easily separated if you apply enough heat.

Without getting technical, welding can be done many ways and with many different types of materials.  The end result (if done properly) is either creating or strengthening a very strong bond between two otherwise unconnected things.  I have no idea why this came to mind, except to say that it motivated me to speak about human nature and how we can strengthen our bonds with each other and how we can empower and edify our relationship with God.

I can't tell you how many times in my apprenticeship where I ruined a weld (bond) between the pieces I was trying to join with too much or even not enough heat.  It brings me to this morning for example.  I overslept my workout (currently on day two) and made my friend wait an extra half hour to start the workout.  He simply said, "A late start is better than NO start at all."  I have known this man for many years and am reminded constantly why God placed him in my life.  What if he added a bit too much heat and said something like, "Bill, you really have to be more responsible and be on time for our workouts!"  or  even more heat,"If you can't be on time, I will just start without you and maybe you need to figure out if this is something you want to do."  Maybe that would weaken the bond we have and not serve the lifting up of a fellow brother who is struggling with a new change, like waking up at five a.m.

17 


Proverbs 27:17 states, "As iron sharpens iron,
    so one person sharpens another."

I immediately though of the iron sharpening iron verse, because I grew up in trade shops and I even saw men working on metals and creating swords with a forge.  This involves heating and shaping metal into the shape you desire, then super-cooling it in water and then repeating the heating, pounding with a metal hammer and cooling again.

I am reminded that we will all have "heat" or things that detract us from cultivating and strengthening  our relationship with Christ.  Will we allow it to weaken our earthly relationships with the people we surround ourselves with each day?  Will we allow the heat of life to pile on stress and force us to make unwise decisions?  I feel that when the heat of life is on the rise, it is a perfect opportunity to lean heavily on God for wisdom, discernment, perseverance, and grace to guide us to a path that strengthens relationships and bonds with Him and with our friends and family.

Lord - my prayer is that you will reach into the lives of anyone who reads this or anyone that is struggling with something and help them realize they are made in your image.  That they can come to you anytime for guidance.  That you are always there and they don't have to go through struggles or solve them on their own.  I praise you for the gift of being in your family and allowing me to talk openly about the Gospel.  In Jesus name - AMEN.

Recharging my Spirit in Him daily,

Bill Blanck


No comments:

Post a Comment