Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The pages of the Bible come alive

Have you ever experienced a situation where you are involved in an experience and a Scripture from the Bible suddenly becomes crystal clear to you?  Almost as if you are actively involved in the situation from Scripture or the Scripture "literally" leaps off the pages and becomes vivid and clearer than you had ever imagined before.

I recently returned from a mission trip to Pignon, Haiti - where a group of 16 of the most amazing Christian disciples I have the honor of serving alongside, glorified God through a variety of avenues.  We helped to train a group of six Haitian men on how to tape and mud drywall, so that when more containers are delivered to the surrounding churches in the future, they will be able to step right in and get the walls prepared for painting.  They will also be able to pass along the training they received to other men who can take that trade to other villages and use it when the need arises.  We honored God by perfoming Vacation Bible School for three days at two completely different towns and fed approximately 200 children and adults each day at both sites.  Our group was also able to witness the life-transforming effects of the micro-loans that many churches have been supporting in the Haitian countryside.  For informational purposes, a micro-loan is a small amount of money (starting at $25) that is given to around five people/families that are members in the church being supported.  Those five members are given training on how to invest the money in a business that can hopefully prosper and allow them to pay back the loaned amount.  On that note, the group can only get the next highest amount of micro-loan when the entire group of five has completely paid back the initial amount borrow (plus 1% interest).  The accountability built into the ministry has around a 94% re-payment history.  People are able to earn money  in ways that would have never possible for them without the micro-loans.  One of the recipients mentioned that he wanted to get to the final loan amount and then begin a micro-loan venture of his own, to pay forward the gifts that God had bestowed upon him.  There were so many other things we experienced,but those will be discussed in future blog posts.

With regards to Scripture lifting off the pages and becoming vivid and real.  One member said about the time when we walked to the market, that it must have been what it was like when Jesus had a person touch his cloak and He felt the power go out from Him (Luke 840-48).  The crowds in the market were at times overwhelming, with people crushing into very small spaces and several people trying to get your attention at the same time.  It was at times, overwhelming to all of the senses.  I also felt this way when walking through the marketplace and it reminded me of the sights and sounds that must have been going on when Jesus walked into a town for the first time.  With our group, all eyes were on us because we were "different" from the local people and they all wanted our attention.  I imagined that some wanted to sell Him food and various other goods, while others wanted to be healed.

Another experience occurred when I was invited to join our group and attend a choral concert across the street at Pastor Jepthe's church.  He was our host for the eight days we were in Pignon, Haiti.  When I arrived in the church, I was not sure what I expected to find.  I witnessed youth groups from all over Pignon, Haiti joining together, regardless of faith and making a "joyful noise" in worship of their savior (Ps. 100:1-3).

Psalm 100

A psalm. For giving grateful praise.

Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth.
    Worship the Lord with gladness;
    come before him with joyful songs.
Know that the Lord is God.
    It is he who made us, and we are his[a];
    we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.

During the service, the power went out several times and the groups that were singing never lost a beat, they just continued to sing praises to the King.  The church attenders just lifted up cell phones to help light the sanctuary.  It was truly a moment for me where the psalms came alive and I gained a deeper awareness of what it means to worship joyfully.

The final thing I was blessed to learn from the Haitian culture was to be a better steward of God's resources. 

 "From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked." (Luke 12:48).  

I saw a robustly creative culture of people who utilize every resource available to them (and they don't have many) in ways that serve a functional purpose and in ways that serve a spiritual purpose.  I realized that I am "spoiled" in my country.  I can use my computer to look up key verses - instead of actively opening my Bible and searching.  I can also use my computer to spread the Gospel and glorify God - and yet I have let this blog sit dormant for months because it became difficult for me to come up with new topics on Spiritual Formation.

God has inspired me to glorify Him in every creative way possible through the Haitian people and I hope I am able to use this blog as one pathway to do just that.  What about you? How are you using the resources with which God has given to you? Listen to what Jesus says: “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.” (Matthew 16:24-25).

I pray that this blog entry finds you doing well and working every day on strengthening your relationship with the Creator.  I would love to hear any feedback or stories you feel moved to share in the comments section.  You never know who may be reading and who can prosper from the wisdom and discernment given to you by the Holy Spirit.

Recharging my Spirit Daily,

Bill Blanck


No comments:

Post a Comment